Monday, June 27, 2016

Appa, My First Superhero!

A trip home, to be with Appa, who is unwell.
The thought of seeing him in less than peak condition, worries me, as I fly towards Chennai.
This is the father, who until my last trip home, unfailingly woke in the wee hours of the morning, to brew filter coffee for me.

Dad, who took my newly married husband aside, while seeing us off at the Railway Station, to ask Ashok, to be patient and understanding. He assured him, that buried under all that aggression and loud talk, was a misguided, but good human being, meaning me!!!

The cool dude, who sheepishly asked me if I would like to 'see some boys' and hastily fled, after a quick embarassed nod, when I told him I wasn't ready.
When Amma went away for a wedding, for a few days, it was just Appa and me at home. I would come from work, to find that Dad had a hot meal waiting for me. Sure, the custard was burnt and the 'vazhakkai'/kachcha kela, had been cooked, with the skin on ...
yet, one of the tastiest dinners I remember!

My father, who knew nothing about fashion, but surprised me by coming along to pick my wedding sari. One look at a golden yellow silk, with a maroon zari border and he said it was a 'mangalamaana' color, which would suit 'Uma-kutti'!

A man of few words, in a family dominated by women, the only person, who never fails to anxiously ask, "Has Uma eaten?"

Appa, who told me stories like the one where if you swallowed the seeds, a plant would grow from your stomach and out of your mouth!

I believed him ...

Appa, My First Superhero!

Can't wait to see you.

(Appa passed away a few days later.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uma your apps will be looking down and smiling at these lovely father daughter bonding moments you have penned down.. v touching ❤️

Anonymous said...

Father daughter is a lovely bond. Cherished by me too. Reminded me of my Appa too. Enjoyed reading it